‘Tis the Season for Rat Infestations
PUBLISHED ON December 10th, 2015
Winter in Olympia, WA brings with it a wide range of rodent problems, including rats. The large, crafty rat is adept at sneaking inside your home through entrances like tiny holes, worn building materials and even sewer pipes. Like other mammals, rats seek food and shelter indoors when frigid temperatures hit. You probably don’t want rats crashing your holiday parties, so you should obtain professional rodent removal services as soon as you notice signs that these pesky critters have invaded your space. Listed below are obvious clues that it’s time to call your local rat exterminating professional at Eden Pest.
Signs of a Rat Problem
- The most obvious and disturbing sign of a rat infestation is the presence of a live or dead rat. Rats are nocturnal, so you are more likely to see a live rat scurrying around at nighttime. When populations become large, rats are forced out into the open. Unfortunately, if you see one rat, he probably has a few relatives hiding nearby.
- Damage to your home’s exterior at potential entry points could point to a rat problem, especially if you see chewed areas or an obvious hole in material that was previously stable.
- Dirt or grease marks along your walls and floorboards and chewed plastic or wood also indicate the presence of rats. It’s not unusual to see a small pile of wood chips near a door or other wooden structure that has been targeted.
- Rat droppings are usually the first sign of a rat problem. Fresh droppings are pellet-shaped and dark brown or black. Older droppings are crumbly and gray. You may find them in dark corners or around baseboards.
- Scratching or scurrying sounds that emanate from your walls, your basement or your attic are usually due to rats or mice. You may also hear squeaking or chewing sounds at night.
- Rat urine has a distinct, musky odor that is usually concentrated near nesting areas. The odor of a decomposing rat that has died inside a wall is quite unpleasant.
- Contamination of food stores may occur if rats gain access to your pantry. Holes chewed in food boxes are a tell-tale sign of rodent invasion.
Get Affordable Rodent Removal in Olympia, WA
If you see, hear, smell or even just fear a rat invasion, it’s time to get help. For the best results, schedule an inspection from one of the professionals here at Eden Pest Control. We have a proven track record in handling rodent infestations using highly effective methods that present less risk to your health and the environment. Don’t let rats take over. Contact Eden Pest today.