Mosquito Prevention Tips For Homeowners
There are some very important things that you can do to limit mosquito breeding on your property:
- Eliminating standing water wherever possible is your first step to controlling mosquitoes around your home. Wear long sleeves, long pants, and a hat when going into mosquito-infested areas, such as woodlands or wetlands.
- Dispose of any waste that could hold water, such as cans, containers and tires.
- Empty standing water from boats, trailers, toys, wheelbarrows and pots.
- Small fountains can be placed in water gardens to prevent mosquito breeding.
- Stock pools, rain barrels, and troughs with mosquito fish (Gambusia), guppies, or goldfish. They readily eat mosquito larvae.
- Make sure roof gutters drain properly.
- Clean vegetation and debris from pond edges.
- Fill water holding pockets in trees with sand or soil.
- Change water in birdbaths once a week.
- Make sure window and door screens are closed tightly.