With summer in full swing, the West Nile virus already found its way to the Northwest. Oregon and Washington pest management companies report that mosquitoes carrying the virus infected people in southwestern Idaho. Professionals trapped infected mosquitoes at the Oregon State line in early July 2015. The mosquito-borne chikungunya virus has also made its way to the U.S. with 224 reported cases as of July 14, 2015. According to experts in pest management, Oregon residents and those throughout the Northwest can control mosquitoes with the right preventive steps.
When a mosquito bites, there’s a good chance that it only travelled 500 feet to feast on you. Females are the only mosquitoes that bite because they need protein to lay eggs. It’s not unusual for a mosquito to lay millions of eggs in several different locations. Eggs can lie dormant through the winter and hatch when the weather warms.
Female mosquitoes find their victims using the antennas on their heads, which detect different odors. The favorite odor is the smell of carbon dioxide. They also like smell of bacteria and sweat on your skin.
Controlling mosquitoes is more about protecting your health than preventing an annoyance. Eden, a Washington and Oregon pest control company, is happy to help you keep mosquitoes at bay with its Advance Mosquito Control Program. Call today to learn more.
Effective and eco-friendly Portland pest control includes practices you may not be used to, like keeping your woodpile in an area away from your home or extending residential pest control practices past the doors of your home. Because unwanted insects can easily enter your home via your firewood, it’s important to take pest management into your own hands so you can stay cozy throughout the winter months without introducing an infestation into your house.
Here are three tips for enjoying a safe and pest-free fire this winter:
It’s tough to resist the temptation to bring in extra firewood, especially when nature is at its worst. However, this makes for poor pest management, as firewood might contain pests that are dormant in the cold winter weather. As soon as you bring your firewood inside, the warmth of your home can trick pests into thinking it’s springtime –time to wake up and eat.
As wood dries, it becomes more susceptible to infestations because most pests avoid fresh, moist wood. An easy residential pest control practice is to rotate your woodpile so it’s simple to access the oldest logs first.
Contrary to popular belief, effective pest management rarely includes the use of toxic pesticides. If you happen to find an infestation in your woodpile, don’t spray it. The chemicals in the pesticides may cause a toxic chemical reaction when you burn the wood. Instead, call a Portland pest control company to help you safely evict the unwanted invaders.
The holidays are rapidly approaching, and many homeowners have begun planning for their annual holiday light displays. If you want to wow your neighbors with an over-the-top lighting scheme this year but don’t have the time or inclination to spend hours on a ladder placing every last string of lights, consider contacting your local pest control company for holiday lighting services.
At Eden, we don’t just have your Portland pest control needs covered; we can also deck out your home for the holidays, so you can enjoy all the splendor of the season without all the fuss. Regardless of whether you have contacted us for Portland pest control services in the past, Eden can take care of your holiday lighting needs. Here are five reasons to take advantage of our holiday lighting services:
1. No hassle. With all of the other stresses and obligations you have to worry about during the holiday season, climbing up on a ladder and hanging lights is often the last straw for many homeowners. Instead of shivering in the cold and wrestling with stubborn light strings, you can simply call us and let us take care of it for you. We’ll come out to your home for a free consultation and help you choose a lighting style that fits your budget.
2. Low maintenance. The days of meticulously testing each bulb on a burned-out light string are over. If you have a dead bulb or other problem with your holiday light installation, we will send out a technician to fix the problem and return your display to its full glory. We’ll also set you up with the latest in lighting control technology so you can easily maintain your display with minimal upkeep.
3. No storage mess. Nobody enjoys having to take down Christmas lights, particularly during the post-holiday let down. Light strings get easily tangled in storage and become a huge mess that can take hours to sort out next year. Forget hauling around big boxes filled with holiday lights (which in and of themselves can become a Portland pest control nightmare); save yourself the time and storage space by letting us take care of it for you.
4. Earth friendly. As an eco-friendly local pest control company, Eden believes in environmental efficiency. We use only high-quality, low-watt LED lighting, which is energy efficient and earth friendly. Help conserve energy and save on your power bill at the same time.
5. Creative design. The best part is that we’ll let you design your lighting plan using digital tools and a photo of your home, giving you plenty of room for creativity. You can even save your plan and add to it or customize it every year.